What's new

Socializing  Age isn't always the answer!

LA Gordon

Rookie
Rookie
In the blog post "How To Be Smooth", Chase mentions that it's not necessary to wait until you're much older and have "seen it all" to be smooth. I not only agree, but will go one step further; being "older" doesn't guarantee having "seen it all"! I spent most of my life in a small town on the East Coast before moving to LA, and even after moving, I did not avail myself of all the opportunities to build my "social muscles". I made it into my early fifties and realized I had weak boundaries and several "friends" that weren't really friends. It was only then I realized that now the real work must begin! I was able to parlay the experience and knowledge I did have into a much more fulfilling life by getting out there and having the social experiences I missed along the way.
The main piece of advice that pushed me to the next level was something I heard in a presentation by the Hollywood publicist Michael Levine- it can be summarized by three letters; FFF- Fire your Flakey Friends! It wasn't until I "cleared out the garbage from my friends closet" that I was able to meet really supportive, quality people. Somehow I was under the mistaken impression that lame friends are better than no friends at all. Boy, was I wrong! I did go through a brief period of not having much of a social life, but since nature abhors a vacuum, that began to change.
So, a final thought from this almost-senior citizen: if you're shy and in your 20's, that's a perfect time to slowly begin to mold your social skills into the shape you would like them to be. Chase offers plenty of information in his blog, books and videos: absorb it, but THEN get out there and kick asses and take names (if It's women you want to meet however, I'd advise against kicking their asses- just take their names and numbers!).

Just_Dave

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
FFF!

Yes! People come and go that's why it's important as you said to experience things. I'm not even twenty yet but I'm really determined to travel the world hardcore after I graduate from college. I even started travelling the Midwestern region of the U.S last year. It's been really fun and adventurous. I try to force myself out of the house as much as I can.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Gordon,

LA Gordon said:
The main piece of advice that pushed me to the next level was something I heard in a presentation by the Hollywood publicist Michael Levine- it can be summarized by three letters; FFF- Fire your Flakey Friends! It wasn't until I "cleared out the garbage from my friends closet" that I was able to meet really supportive, quality people. Somehow I was under the mistaken impression that lame friends are better than no friends at all. Boy, was I wrong! I did go through a brief period of not having much of a social life, but since nature abhors a vacuum, that began to change.

Sage advice here.

I see a lot of guys who hem and haw about dropping friends who are stuck in place, not moving forward in their lives, while the guy in question is revolutionizing everything about himself. You can try to pull your friends along with you, or try to turn them into better friends, but much of the time you won't be able to and it can simply be better to drop them and move on.

Like you said, nature abhors a vacuum - before long, new friends start filling up to take your old friends' places, and the new and improved you tends to get new and improved friends, to boot.

Chase

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take