What's new

Being able to sacrifice that scripted line?

Dash of Englishness

Space Monkey
space monkey
So this is about that moment when you're about to go talk to a girl and you've a great line that you just thought of. I think it's important to be open to the possibility that something unexpected might happen in the very moment you actually go to approach her that will now mean that your line is no longer suited to the situation. It could be that she goes to say something to you first, or that someone else walks over, or whatever else. Of course if this happens I think it's probably best to resort back to saying basic "whatever enters your mind" type comments. I think a lot of guys don't realise the importance of this. Some coaches on the other hand perhaps advice to never use lines, but I think it's all about being able to mentally shift within the moment. I would've liked to have been given this advice when younger.

I've been watching a few daygame videos on youtube where you can clearly see that the guy has a line ready, but it doesn't quite fit to the moment in the way he expected, or he gets interrupted as he's about to say it, etc. But he'll still go to say it anyway. Usually the girl seems to forgive him, but I think it's coms across as more non-genuine and off-putting than people realise. For the guy, I think it's one of those things where it happens so fast that he probably only realises "oh shit she was trying to say something else there, I should've just listened". It took me a while to actually realise that I 'realised' this, as you wouldn't even be paying that close attention to the dialogue. But some of these guys are considered very good at PUA, yet they seem to be consistently making this mistake!

It's kind of the same thing when you see a friend of yours in a group and he goes to make a joke, and then there's, lets say, a loud bang or something just at that moment. Now sometimes the joke will be worth repeating, but sometimes it's one of those situations where the moment is gone. So does he try to repeat the joke or not? If they do, then you get to see how important it is to them to impress their friends, which can tell you a lot about their status. In such cases you can feel unlucky, as you would have scored a point, but I've learned to accept that the moment is now gone. So it's the same when you're about to use an opener when approaching a girl.

I think lines are great to read, but not to memorise. I think it's good trust yourself that those lines will come to the surface of your mind when you need them, and that you actually might even be tailoring it. I guess that a lot of the old school PUA authors didn't consider this at all. I mean when you think of Neil Strauss's idea of approaching a group of women and saying "I've hardly any time but I need a female opinion on something before I go"... and how non-genuine that must have come across!!

Would any of you care to share your experiences of making such mistakes? And has this exact topic ever been discussed on girlschase?

Thank you

AspiringStoic

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Its not black and white. Some guys need a structure to fall back on. It boosts their confidence. Some learn differently, having too many canned lines stifles them.

And everyone goes through stages. So sure the guy who is still nervous might not be able to think on his feet and he may say the line he had thought of even if it does not fit perfectly to the situation. Once he gets calmer he will will get there.

Even after you get good, all your interactions are not going to be note perfect. Awkwardness and choppyness can creep in here and there. Besides a girl does not need a perfect flawless conversation with a man to get attracted to him. Even without perfection you can end up having a great interaction which leads to something wonderful.

I think lines are great to read, but not to memorise. I think it's good trust yourself that those lines will come to the surface of your mind when you need them, and that you actually might even be tailoring it. I guess that a lot of the old school PUA authors didn't consider this at all.
All this sounds like you reading a bunch of stuff and forming opinions and thinking about x or y or z.

Instead go infield have 50 interactions with canned lines and routines. Then go have 50 without anything planned and improvising in the moment.

Tell us what your experiences were and which suits you better. Now you would have had real experience with both instead of asking others for opinions. Get your own experiences. That is always the best. 😎

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take