What's new

Job interviews : how to right a (sinking) ship

lux7

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I am interviewing for a position I am perfect and yet a huge issue seems to be stopping me from getting it.

• -Telephone and in person interviews with recruitment manager, great.

• -Interview with interim team manager, great.

• -Interview with two girls in the team, bad:
they said I was too pushy (consider: they're looking for a proper salesperson, it's not a huge drawback). One of them particularly who was a former colleague and a known troublemaker, let's call her B as in "bitch", laid it on thick.
The recruitment manager was present in the interview though and her point of view was that I was a senior guy who was there taking charge with a clear goal and the two junior girls were taken aback by it. If I can keep that drive with leads and be kinder to the internal team it's fine, she said.

• -Interview with senior guy in the team who will be promoted to manager: great.
This was after the above interviews. This guy is a friend who referred me. He also mentioned of the problems B created on the workplace and how glad he is she'll move to another team.
He confirmed he will support my candidacy but the negative feedback is an issue (read below).

Now the plot thickens: after interviews I sent a follow up email to everyone. It was clear B didn't like me in the in person interview and I wasn't sure whether to write her or not, but I decided to send a mail anyway as I wanted her as little poisonous as possible so I wrote:

"Hi B, good seeing you after such a long time, you seemed in great shape.
... (typical professional interview follow up based on the interview's conversation)"
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything or if you have any further questions, hopefully we'll get to work on some accounts one day.
Thank you again and I wish you a great rest of the week

Now the clincher: a simple negative feedback from B, given her weak internal position, I could have withstood it. Her junior friend, probably as well.
But the future manager who referred me let me on on the specifics of the feedback B gave: she spoke about me "hitting on her / being weird" on email by saying I wrote she looked great :S.
Interestingly enough, she didn't give this feedback to my friend. She said it to the interim team manager and not sure about anyone else.

I'd like nothing more than to physically kick her, but knowing her, it's been a huge mistake from my side.

This coming week a further two guys will go for an interview.
My fate will depend on how they will fare and... On possibly what I can do now to increase my chances. But what could anyone do at this point?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO
Keep in mind the further complications:
-the hiring manager is on holidays so I can't fully count on her proven sympathy and support ;
-my friend told me about the specifics of the feedback as a friend, I could as easily further unsettle the situation by showing anyone I know the details

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Yeah commenting on a potential coworker's physical appearance "in good shape" is not a professional move. You commented on her appearance and that is not well received by people who want to be admired for their skills.

Learn from this experience, and converse with colleagues in a businesslike and inpersonal manner.

lux7

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
True man, would you say that's still improper behaviour in light of the the background of two people knowing each other?

Imagine this: you know that person, you were working in the same company for a few months, including sometimes a few lunches, sharing some laughs and some team events. And you hadn't seen her in months.

My intention was to be something like when you see a person after a long time and you say "you looking good mate / I find you well".
I'm not native and I didn't even think that could be misunderstood for a physical appearance compliment -she isn't even beautiful FFS and if she had complained about (possibly non-existing) male advances in the past as well, idiot me-.

Would you see any way to possibly improve the situation or would you leave it?

Dash of Englishness

Space Monkey
space monkey
True man, would you say that's still improper behaviour in light of the the background of two people knowing each other?

Imagine this: you know that person, you were working in the same company for a few months, including sometimes a few lunches, sharing some laughs and some team events. And you hadn't seen her in months.

My intention was to be something like when you see a person after a long time and you say "you looking good mate / I find you well".
I'm not native and I didn't even think that could be misunderstood for a physical appearance compliment -she isn't even beautiful FFS and if she had complained about (possibly non-existing) male advances in the past as well, idiot me-.

Would you see any way to possibly improve the situation or would you leave it?
Yeah, just because you knew her doesn't mean you're friends with her... and you're clearly not seeing as you dislike her. Why give someone you hate a compliment when you don't mean it? For the sake of being polite, the "good to see you" part was adequate enough. The comment on her physique part was unnecessary, even if it weren't inappropriate.

And, oh, there's the fact that you put that in writing! I wouldn't comment on any woman's physical appearance unless I was some sort of fitness instructor, or I was flirting with her.

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take