What's new

Make the forum private?

Jeet02

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I feel like some sensitive information might be shared in the forum from time to time. I was wondering if it was possible to make it private so only registered users can actually see the posts? Anyone agrees with that? or bad idea?

-Jeet

Ross

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I don't think it is necessarily a bad idea, but keep in mind that this is the Internet. Personally I'd be fine if it was public or private, though making it public will allow for more people to see the discussions and thus encourage them to join.

Rationalis

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
RTB said:
I don't think it is necessarily a bad idea, but keep in mind that this is the Internet. Personally I'd be fine if it was public or private, though making it public will allow for more people to see the discussions and thus encourage them to join.

I second this. I feel making a board private would definitely encourage new users but I feel like they wouldn't contribute as they signed up only to read and gain access to the content.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I'll make sure Chase sees this topic to get his opinion.

- Franco

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Howdy Jeet,

Jeet02 said:
I feel like some sensitive information might be shared in the forum from time to time. I was wondering if it was possible to make it private so only registered users can actually see the posts? Anyone agrees with that? or bad idea?

-Jeet

Replied earlier to your email about this, but posting here for the forum's sake as well.

Having been on a number of public and private boards, one of the Achilles's heels I've seen of private boards is that they eventually die off and peter out without a steady supply of new blood entering the forum. Conversely, on the other hand, private boards have the advantage of having a closer, more intimate feel, and the bonds that people form on them tend to be stronger than larger, more informal public boards. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

I'm looking into having a private side to this board. I tried it the other way with the first Girls Chase Forum, actually - private first, then building a public side - but the public side never got going, and eventually the private side died out too, since there was only a limited number of guys on there. This time, I'm focusing on the public side first, and then may add a private board for more advanced members to get away from the rabble a little later on down the road.

The other advantage of a public / private board mix is you get to see a guy's stuff on a public board, so you're able to be much more selective about who gets access to the private board, helping you to add new members while keeping member quality high. There's really no other way to know how good a guy is and how active he'll be as a contributor without seeing his stuff on a board somewhere else first (e.g., the public board in this case). That way, the public board serves as a sort of proving ground before bringing him into the private board mix, where guys don't really want to be annoyed with newbie questions, things that should be common sense, etc.

So, I'd say, you've got one layer of protection, at least (your handle on the boards here); and obviously don't go around posting people's names or addresses or anything like that, and all should be fine. I've heard of one or two people out of the tens of thousands of guys I've seen on dating and seduction boards over the past 7 years or so getting "found out"... and usually that was just because the guy left the website open in his browser, or some girl got overly curious and did a history look-up ;)

Anyway, I'll keep the board updated if / when we get a private side to the GC Boards up and running, and what the selection criteria will be for it if we do. It'll probably be some combination of number of quality lay reports posted, overall number of posts / time on the forum, and a quick and dirty subjective evaluation of how value giving the guy is and whether he seems to get along with other board members, etc.

But, that's for sometime in the future. In the meantime, let me know any other suggestions to make these boards we've got right here better.

And thanks for the thoughts on a private board, Jeet.

Best,
Chase

AFCnoob

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I suggest posters use the utmost discretion when posting to the board, and with links and files on their computer, as well as any paper-based guides or information you may have (technical game). I personally feel making an active effort to be happier in life and give women what they really want is something to be proud of, but uninitiated women are almost certain to disagree.

I don't think we need to make the forums private, that might hurt participation, and ultimately it isn't necessary if posters are simply mindful of what they share, and how they share it.

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
AFCnoob said:
I suggest posters use the utmost discretion when posting to the board, and with links and files on their computer, as well as any paper-based guides or information you may have (technical game).

One quick tip for Google Chrome users: if you're paranoid about being "found out," just press Ctrl + Shft + N (Cmmd + Shft + N on a Mac) to bring up Incognito mode (nothing gets saved to history), and do your browsing there.

Or... just logout of your account when not using it, and make women use the guest account or forbid them from touching your computer entirely!

Chase