What's new

Online & Apps  Online Dating - Breaking The Ice

bigoiltrader

Rookie
Rookie
Does anyone here have consistent success with online dating? Would you mind sharing tips with the rest of us?

I find that if you put too much of yourself out there in your self-summary, you often appear to be trying too hard to impress. Additionally, why do we allow random women to be privy to such particular details of our lives without first establishing a connection? Perhaps a better tactic would be to act as if we don't take internet dating quite so seriously, but then how do you not deter the plethora of women who are on these sites to look for their (lol) potential life-match (aka sugar daddy), and what exactly are you supposed to include in your profile to increase your message and response rate?

It's been said that, on average, women receive 200 times more messages than men, and they filter through most of these messages like grains of sand at the beach. Contrary to what's been advocated online, I believe writing a lengthy and well-thought e-mail that includes very specific details of the recipient's profile improves your response rate only marginally at best. I mean, what are you doing with your life that you have the bloody time to sit there for hours on end crafting meticulous messages for your initial contact that most likely get overlooked?

Is it instead better to craft brief and witty messages under 160 characters (but without sounding generic) so you can expand your reach to more women and simply play this game by the numbers? And once she sends a response, should we refrain from attempting to build lengthy rapport with her by e-mail and instead look to procure a date within the next two or three messages? Should our approach to online dating be similar to Chase's text message strategies (which work quite well in a live setting)?

Should we abandon internet dating sites as a viable medium altogether, grow some balls, and learn how to be socially comfortable on our own in a bar (does anyone actually go to a bar by themselves in this new, socially-regressed, digital age)? I'm starting to think that only white, clean-cut men in their 30's who make over $100,000 a year are the only ones having any consistent success on these internet datings sites.

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Hi bigoiltrader,

There is a whole section (including a sample profile that Chase has put together on Plenty of Fish) on this forum here.

Chase's sample profile is located here:

Chase's Guide to Online Dating (2010)

I've had very minimal success with this approach on more "serious" dating websites (such as OkCupid or Match.com), but the idea of being "fun" and "witty" is a common theme among all of them.

Hope this helps!

- Franco

EDIT: This has been moved from the "Beginners" board to the "Online Dating" board.