What's new

Reverse psychology - when does it work?

Jan

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Last Saturday I was chatting a 40 years old single woman and asked her what is she looking for in terms of men/relationship, etc. She told me that she is focused on her business right now, she is happy being single, and not looking for anyone right now. Then she asked me the same question. I told her that I'm looking for a long term relationship with a woman between 20-30 years old. She asked me if I believe that I can form a relationship for life with such an immature person. I told her 'Yeah. My grandmother married when she was 22 or 23 and lived with my grandfather her whole life."

And at that time she got really intrigued. She started biting her nails with an intrigued expression, deep thinking eyes and slight smile. I told her: "It seems to me that I got you intrigued." She smiled and said: "You did."

We chatted a bit more, I told her that I live abroad, and that my girlfriend lives there.

I asked her if she likes wine. She said yes. I told her that I have a bottle of wine at home and that we should have it together.

Long story short, she accepted my invitation. The only objection she had is that she was in the club with her niece and she was supposed to bring her home. I proposed that she orders Uber for her and we take another another one to my place. She was a bit hesitant, but I propose that she goes and find her niece in a club, order her Uber and find me in the smoking area when she is free. She said ok and started to walk towards the dance floor. Just to be sure that she is going to try my idea I asked her: "Should I wait for you here?". She nodded and said yes. Then walked away.

Back to the topic. When I told her that I'm looking for a relationship with a woman between 20-30 years old this was a changing point of the interaction. I don't understand why, but it seems to me that I posed some kind of challenge to her. I don't know if this is a pure example of reverse psychology, but surely it was surpising to me.

Did you guys experience similar examples of reverse psychology at work? If telling mature women that I'm looking for a young woman worked, would telling a young chick that I'm looking for a mature woman also work?

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Kaida

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I dont think it was really reverse psychology

I think she was genuinely fine being single, and ruling yourself out as a boyfriend just made your lover value more apparent. If she was actually looking for a boyfriend and you ruled her out like that, I doubt it’d work unless it was a playful barrier.