What's new

Wealth  Sucessful stories of leaving 9-5

empath

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey Guys,

Just curious to know how many of you have left 9-5 or ventured on your own after education and have been moderately successful ( not a multi millionaire start up founder but someone who has similar to any high paying job will pay think good law firms, wall street Faang).

Why led to you to be your own?

What do you think were key strengths?

What qualities do you think anyone would need to escape the false safety net of corporations?

How much time it took you where you could take time off from work and let it run on auto pilot (or flexible schedules)?

How much did you worked and what you sacrificed while building this stream of money?

Do you still chase money or relax now

Conquistador

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
think good law firms, wall street
You understand how many hours those guys usually do? At least until they get to management.

There was an extreme incident not that long ago in the UK where a rising star at a City firm dropped dead in his shower from pulling too many work-taxi-shower-coffee-taxi back-repeat runs for like a week. Pretty much all the junior dudes in his line of work were doing it, but most of them weren’t pushing themselves to that level of insanity.

Being a junior lawyer at a large firm can as bad if not worse as being a doctor in residency.

Bottom line: if you want the kind of independence and peace of mind that most men online seek, a conventional high-salary job isn’t it, and will like ruin your 20s and 30s and maybe your 40s.

unless…

You want to know where all the real money is? Apart from entrepreneurship ofc which is obv high risk high reward.

Most of the richest counties in the country are located around DC. The vast supporting infrastructure of the federal government provides huge numbers of positions for civil servants to live rather comfortably and many opportunities for Beltway bandits to fleece the taxpayer, while an orbiting ecosystem of consultants, think tanks, lobbyists, PACs, NGOs, and various international institutions adds to the bonanza. The political center of the most powerful nation on earth has predictably concentrated enough capital to make innumerable individual fortunes.

Joining The Man is pure and simple probably the best way for most people to make a killing without excessive stress. It does normally require a college degree but it’s worth it.

DoWhatWorks

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Just curious to know how many of you have left 9-5 or ventured on your own after education and have been moderately successful

Quit my job this week on good terms. Took me 2.5 years to replace my work income with net profits from the business.
Why led to you to be your own?

What do you think were key strengths?

1. Love independence & hate not having control of my own schedule

2. High risk & pain tolerance

What qualities do you think anyone would need to escape the false safety net of corporations?

Work ethic & resilience but to be honest people either want it or they don’t.

Nothing wrong with either path.

How much time it took you where you could take time off from work and let it run on auto pilot (or flexible schedules)?

How much did you worked and what you sacrificed while building this stream of money?

1. I don’t like this question to be honest. To make this work you need a “whatever it takes for as long as it takes” mentality butttt ~10-15 hours a week on top of my 9-5 for the past 2.5 years to build it to where it is now.

also there’s never any real ”autopilot” things always need to be reviewed otherwise entropy sets in

2. Girls, clubbing & hobbies got sacrificed but seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Will do more in 2025 but clubbing doesn't appeal to me anymore, think I just got old lol.

Also built the biz to where all I need is a laptop so going to ramp up travelling too

empath

Space Monkey
space monkey
Quit my job this week on good terms. Took me 2.5 years to replace my work income with net profits from the business.

1. Love independence & hate not having control of my own schedule

2. High risk & pain tolerance

Work ethic & resilience but to be honest people either want it or they don’t.

Nothing wrong with either path.

1. I don’t like this question to be honest. To make this work you need a “whatever it takes for as long as it takes” mentality butttt ~10-15 hours a week on top of my 9-5 for the past 2.5 years to build it to where it is now.

also there’s never any real ”autopilot” things always need to be reviewed otherwise entropy sets in

2. Girls, clubbing & hobbies got sacrificed but seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Will do more in 2025 but clubbing doesn't appeal to me anymore, think I just got old lol.

Also built the biz to where all I need is a laptop so going to ramp up travelling too
I guess having this mentality however long it takes and whatever it takes comes mostly from having no safety net.

I guess 2.5-3 years is something I can sacrifice, were you aware that you will make it 2.t years.

Did you had prior technical skills related to business you are in or was your education related to it? Or was it a some random field?

the right date makes getting her back home a piece of cake