What's new

Thoughts on Botox & attractiveness?

Atlas IV

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I've done Botox periodically over the past few years to try keep my wrinkles from getting too pronounced (I apparently have strong facial muscles which is causing them). It works to smooth my face for a few months, but then wears off and I'm basically back to where I was.

I always thought it enhanced my attractiveness by making me look more youthful. But I've been off Botox for about 4 months now, and yet I feel like I get more attention from women than EVER (likely due to upgraded fashion and hairstyle), which makes me question whether the wrinkles were ever as unattractive as I thought, or if it's one of those things that I perceive to be a flaw that other people don't see as a flaw.

So do any other guys on this forum do Botox? If so, do you think it's worth it and/or had made a significant difference in attraction?

alexlaguma

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I've done it bro and will continue to once or twice a year.

I always get told I look 3-4 years younger than I actually am, and I'm sure the botox has helped with that.

I wouldn't say it has a major effect on attraction, I'm confident I'd still pull without it. But I like the youthful comments so I'll continue.

Atlas IV

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Nice, yeah I get comments like that too and it's nice. Think I'll keep it up occasionally. Good moisturizer and sunscreen is also a big part of it.

Bismarck

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
You don’t have to do botox if you follow dermatologically recommended skincare protocols.

I apply serum every morning and before going to sleep (two separate serums) and since I started in Jan ‘24 I’ve had plenty of people say I look younger, more content, radiant, etc.

People always guess I’m younger than my age. I’m 35 and I pass for 28-30.

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Bismarck

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
I’ll write them here in a sec.

I should also add that you need to avoid sunlight (so for instance, if at the beach, stay under a sun umbrella in the shade when you’re not bathing in the sea/ocean or playing beach sports) and always apply suncream on top of the vitamin C serum in the morning.

Also, before applying the more aggressive anti-wrinkle nighttime serum there is a face wash soap-like product you need to apply to clear off the morning serum+suncream combo.

Edit
the products are:
  • morning serum: La Roche-Posay pure vitamin C10 serum (application to be followed by a second layer (on top) of 50 protection suncream)
  • pre-sleep serum: La Roche-Posay retinol B3 serum
  • soap wash to be applied before the serums: Neostrata resurface foaming glycolic wash

Last edited:

gameboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I do none of these things except moisturizing cream and occasionally a bit of sunscreen. And I still get told I look 5-10 years younger than I am, more often than not.

Just thought I'd chime in so whoever reads the thread can get a balanced overview of opinions. Obviously every individual is different and may have different results with different methods. If what you're doing is working for you, by all means continue doing it.

With these age guesses I think you also need to take into account that most people will prefer to err on the side of caution and guess lower than they actually think you might be. At least that's what I do when guessing girls' ages.

Last edited:

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I do none of these things except moisturizing cream and occasionally a bit of sunscreen. And I still get told I look 5-10 years younger than I am, more often than not.

Likewise. Most folks I meet say I look young for my age. Chicks in their early 20s sometimes bead me as 25-28 (I am 41).

The funniest was a conversation I had in a bar a couple years back with some randoms... we were talking about drinking and how I used to go out and get shitfaced but I scaled it way back. Everyone else there was probably mid-20s. This guy who thinks he is just joking goes, "Geez man, you talk like you're 40!" I was like, "Well... almost! In a couple more years!" (I think I was 38) and he gave me the most surprised Pikachu face of all time...

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

My biggest super power skin-wise is just "have skin that burns instantly on sun contact so you have to stay out of the sun pretty much 24/7." Nothing ages your skin faster than the sun.

OTOH, I have occasionally had people who thought I was older than my age, too. "Oh, you're 41? I thought you were older."

I think just in general most people have really terrible age-dars.

I suspect the main things people are looking at is not hair thinning or skin wrinkles (because I have some of both) but actually body fat and tiredness/alertness/energy levels, plus one's overall demeanor.

People get fatter as they get older... their body language generally gets worse (more slumped shoulders, less strident walking)... they start to look more burdened by the world, weighted down by concerns, less interested in all the little things going on in the moment... I suspect this is actually what people look at to determine age more than anything else.

If you are in good shape, with confident body language, alert and energetic, you do not meet the normal mental image people have for "man of [whatever older age you are]" and so their brains just go "Some hair thinning and wrinkles... but wait: not fat. Confident body language. Alert and unburdened. He must be younger then, right?" and you get slotted into the "youthful" box.

(obviously, it's not absolute... Sean Connery and Richard Branson were/are pretty youthful older guys but no one thinks they look 25 at age 70... but I bet at age 70 a lot of people who don't know their age are going to assume they are 60 or 55)

(as the counterpart to this, when I was 18, I would always get into bars un-carded because I had a mustache + goatee and I would just go around "acting" older... e.g., less energetic, curious, nervous, etc. than normal 18 y/os, more just "eased into the way of the world", etc. Everyone used to guess my age as around 26 back then. If I look at pictures of me at 18 I still very clearly looked like a teenager, albeit with some facial hair, but my demeanor was older, so people just assumed I was older)

Chase

Hue

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
If possible, I don't shower for the first 2-3 hrs of the day because during sleep your body (primarily your face) creates and secretes oils that replenish the skins health. Most people wake up and use body wash and shampoo with chemicals that immediately gets rid of all the work your body just did.

I've been drinking heavily for literally like 10-12 years (currently 28) and I get told I look like I'm 23 all the time. I looked back at some pictures and unless I'm hungover / bloated I look almost exactly the same. Alcohol is terrible for your skin so honestly I should look much worse.

Outside of that though my diet is almost strictly Paleo, I pound water, and I exercise a lot. Do what you can to decrease inflammation in as many ways as you can and your body will keep you looking young.

Definitely good to appear/be older on the inside in terms of being masculine / mature, but I will note that the most important thing is to never fully lose your inner child. Everyone's got that little guy in their with human emotions no matter how old you are and keeping that guy stable will keep you happy + less stressed = more actual physical youth as well.

Someday I'll probably use Botox for forehead wrinkles or something. Just shouldn't over do it. All these young kids and older women just pumping plastic and shit into their face is so gross it makes me sad.

POB

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Honestly I have nothing against wrinkles
(Think they are charming if not exaggerated)

That said, basic face protocol is sunscreen everyday (for sure) and both adstringent gel and soap
(during shower, usually morning and evening cause I tend to shower 2x per day)

Need nothing else tbh, the rest comes down to genetics and diet.

Erioc

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey gents,

as a life-long people observer I have no opinion as such on botox but here are some relevant thoughts nonetheless:

I have seen guys a decade younger (I'm early 30's) than me with much more wrinkles than me...but I obviously look older, nobody would guess otherwise.

On the other hand, I have seen and met botoxed ladies 50+ and to me they generally seemed older than they were due to their lack of facial expressivity...

When I make people guess my age they never guess older than 27, oftentimes 23~25. I reckon it's due to the fact that while I'm bald and wear glasses, I am "young" in my demeanor.

This has been my experience through the board: it's the demeanor, lack of a belly and a double chin ... as well as the clothing style ... which dictate what age one "exudes".

Dash of Englishness

Space Monkey
space monkey
I've done Botox periodically over the past few years to try keep my wrinkles from getting too pronounced (I apparently have strong facial muscles which is causing them). It works to smooth my face for a few months, but then wears off and I'm basically back to where I was.

I always thought it enhanced my attractiveness by making me look more youthful. But I've been off Botox for about 4 months now, and yet I feel like I get more attention from women than EVER (likely due to upgraded fashion and hairstyle), which makes me question whether the wrinkles were ever as unattractive as I thought, or if it's one of those things that I perceive to be a flaw that other people don't see as a flaw.

So do any other guys on this forum do Botox? If so, do you think it's worth it and/or had made a significant difference in attraction?
Men need more botox than women because their facial muscles are bigger.

I'd hate to think someone would be able to spot that you've botox in. For example if someone has lots of neck lines, but their forehead is perfectly smooth. Can you express yourself as easily with the botox in. Maybe that's what the girls pick up on better when you've no botox!

Atlas IV

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Men need more botox than women because their facial muscles are bigger.

I'd hate to think someone would be able to spot that you've botox in. For example if someone has lots of neck lines, but their forehead is perfectly smooth. Can you express yourself as easily with the botox in. Maybe that's what the girls pick up on better when you've no botox!
I've had exactly this thought. On a subconscious level, our brain picks up on micro-expressions of others and interprets them in certain ways, like signals. Perhaps some of them are so minute that they make little difference, but I'm sure some of them have an effect on how other people perceive us. Botox forcibly prevents certain muscles from moving, which means those signals are not given off the same way.

In other words, you might THINK you're presenting a certain facial expression that you know elicits a certain reaction, but actually the botox has changed how that expression looks, and therefore how it is perceived by others.

This is just speculation though, I have no idea whether it's based in truth. Would be an interesting subject for a research paper - "does Botox affect how one's facial expressions are interpreted by others?"