What's new

What does partner mean

mrman

Space Monkey
space monkey
Does it at all ever imply like a lesbian or open relationship type thing? That’s the vibe I get. Or meaning a boyfriend but partnered up for good. Or… just a politer non specific way.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Personally, whenever I hear it or read it in a romantic context I just assume the person using it is gay and talking about his or her gay lover.

Occasionally though it turns out s/he is not gay, however, and instead is using the word 'partner' anyway in some kind of weird unisex way to be more inclusive or something.

It's basically a 'conformist MSM acolyte' identifier, because this is the label coming out of feminism and the gay camp in academia and their advocates in the mainstream media, that everyone is supposed to use to refer to any kind of lover or spouse as 'partner', in order to blur all distinctions between sex and sexual orientation (the idea is to push 'tolerance' by in essence confusing everyone so nobody has a concrete idea what anyone else is talking about, and instead there is just this vague abstract notion of "some kind of romantic affiliation, of some indeterminate degree of seriousness, with some unknown individual of unidentified sex"). Most people using it aren't actually activists; they are just MSM disciples conforming with the language they consume there.

Ultimately it strips both the sex and the degree of seriousness from the label, making it a much vaguer and lower information label, and the person using it an inferior communicator. Seems to be the way a lot of language is trending nowadays though: vaguer, lower information, less descriptive, less effective communication.

Confucius would be displeased.

Chase

the right date makes getting her back home a piece of cake

Francis

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Howdy partner,

I should probably start being more specific!

iu

I have worked with gay men, women with blue hair, etc. I have heard "partner" a lot, and it does seem to be men holding back from saying "husband" or whatever. Polyamorous people tend to say it too.

Doctors have used it with me as shorthand for "sexual partners". Last week I asked for an STD test req and got asked how many "partners" I had this year.

So I personally use it like a catchall term for fuck buddies, friends with benefits, and mLTR's.

mrman

Space Monkey
space monkey
Partner sounds to me like saying they have a boyfriend without rejecting you. I have a boyfriend is a rejection. My partner is like saying it’s open, and maybe she’s changing the boyfriend to partner just for you

mrman

Space Monkey
space monkey
@Chase thank you for the response. What do you think of my theory above?
Once it happened to me with this super hot blonde like foreign girl in my apt. I felt like she wanted me but had a boyfriend so she dropped the boyfriend line as a partner, so its not a rejection.

After rejecting my more aggressive advances:

"Well do you want to get coffee?"

"I don't think my partner would like that."

Again, with a woman (not so attractive) rebuffing my advances but saying come meet me here another time, like she always comes there at the same time after work. Saying she has a partner. In that case she was giving me the idea that it could be the non-rejection or the lesbian.

The attractive blonde did not strike me as potentially lesbian, but who knows.