What's new

What is the BEST way to take notes? (for rapid/quality learning)

ElChe

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey everyone, I've been improving my study and productivity habits and I was looking for some info and different perspectives on note taking.

A couple years ago I would go furious at taking notes. I took super detailed, "useful" notes. It helps to do this because it forces you to understand the subject and describe it in your own words. And also writing stuff down helps memorize it.

But recently and because of studying a really awesome teacher, I stopped taking notes while listening or reading books (or watching lectures in classes) and my goal was to be fully present... and let the info digest naturally.

I'm really digging that new way to learn info haha. Learning isn't robotic.
But obviously notes are still super useful.

I'm thinking the best method for learning is full presence and just absorbing the material the first time you go through it... and then AFTERWARDS you take notes-- however the best way to take notes is.

So that's my question...

What IS the best way to take notes? (any why is it so?)

There is a lot of info in this subject and sometimes people say different things.
Does anyone have any kickass notes I can take a look at as an example?

@Chase and @Warped Mindless based on this thread, you guys seem to really get this, so if there is any insight you can give I'd appreciate it!

topcat

Modern Human
Modern Human
I tend to read )or listen to the material through once..with a notebook open. On the first pass of the material i’ll write down any questions i have about parts of the material that aren’t clear to me.

I’ll do a second pass of the material this time with the intent to answer my questions. I write down my answers.

After this second pass I’ll also write down things that are clear to me regarding the material.

I take inventory of everything I’ve learnt so far. And then ask any other questions i have on the subject.

From there i’ll find other supporting material to bolster my learning, following the same process and put it into practise if it’s something practical.

Last edited:
a good date brings a smile to your lips... and hers

West_Indian_Archie

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
What I did for my studies

Notes on the readings
Notes from lecture
Thoughts of my own

And create an outline of the above

Then one page outline

And every day, I'd rewrite the outline from memory

Forced me to focus on the core idea, be concise, and understand the "complexity".

Handwritten, one page. Every time.

ElChe

Space Monkey
space monkey
Gonna try these out and see how it goes... thanks guys.

Also side note, it is interesting that very skilled seducers seem to be so studious...!

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@ElChe,

Optimizing your study practice is really about figuring out how YOU absorb & retain information best and building an approach around that.

I can't do the "fully present, just totally focused on the instruction, not taking notes, just soaking it all in" thing because my mind just starts wandering. I need tools & habits to keep me focused on the instruction. In live classes, this is note-taking and raising my hand to answer the teachers' questions (I will be the teacher's pet all day -- best way to retain the stuff from class IME). In online classes, this is note-taking + playing some sort of mindless simple game while listening to the class to engage that part of my brain that is always going "I need to be doing something!"

I do enjoy just reading books to read them. But when I do it that way with educational books, I end up forgetting most of what was in it. I need to either jot some notes down or go apply it.

The biggest one for me (and I suspect for everyone) is application. It's the old "use it or lose it" phenomenon.

Found a new great concept! Awesome! Go use it ASAP before it falls back outta your brain!

The only way to truly retain stuff is to put it into use, then use it enough times that it becomes an experiential memory -- and not just something read or seen somewhere that vanishes from your memory banks within a few months, never to be seen again (unless/until you go through that material again and go, "Oh YEAH! I remember that! How come I never used that? That is such a great thing!").

Chase